Updated, December 16, 2011
Facebook is long since reached the limits of a common social network and even went further on. It is possible but very hard to succeed without using all the possible and impossible progressive ways to tell the world about you and/or your business.
There are different reasons to install a tab of your flash template, game, e-shop, website or whatever to your fan page. For example this is a very good way to share and tell the world about you and the things you are doing in a creative way. It is a great advertisement of what you are doing. What is more, your page is public and a user doesn't need to login to see your Facebook fan page.
When something is updated on your website or e-shop or whatever you wish to install all you have to do is to set up the informing messages to your fans.
To make a long story short your Facebook profile will work for you.
Of course you may ask for help from a web developer but you will have to pay for that, so we decided to give some advice on how to implement your website or template to a Facebook fan page.
Here is the step by step instruction on how to implement a flash template/game/shop to your Facebook fan page:
* First of all you need to have Facebook account and a fan page, click here to learn how to create it.
1. Login to your Facebook fan page. Type “developer” in the search window and choose Developer app in the search results.
Click “Allow” to gain access to the Developer APP section.
2.Click “Create New App”.
If your account isn't verified you will need to do this before you can set up application. There are two ways to verify your account by phone or credit card. After verification (just follow the instructions) click “Create New App” again at the Developer APP section.
3.Enter app name (it’s not really important how you call it), app namespace and you have to Agree to the Facebook Terms, then click "Continue".
After you press "Continue", you get to the application settings page.
4.Fill in the form.
Add your app description logo, icon, contact details etc.
* Do not press “save changes” before you finish all steps below. Or if you are going to leave that page and return later, press “edit settings” at the application page to access this setting again.
Then scroll down and expand following sections: "App on Facebook" and "Page Tab".
Fill the blanks as following:
1. Canvas URL: Absolute path to the directory with template at your server.
2. Secure Canvas URL: Absolute path to the directory with template at your server but with secured (SSL) connection. To make this application work properly you need to set up SSL at your server. Most of hostings provide shared SSL for free, but best way to buy private SSL. Learn more about this at your hosting company website.
3. Page Tab Name: App link name at your page
4. Page Tab URL: Path to the directory with template at your server.
5. Secure Page Tab URL: Path to the directory with template at your server but with secured (SSL) connection.
6. Click "Save changes" button at the bottom of the page, but don't leave settings page yet.
Your application is ready! and now you need to add it to your Facebook fan page.
Add application to your Facebook fan page
Use this link template, to add app to your fan page:
YOUR _APP_ID – can be found in app profile
YOUR _URL – Path to the directory with template at your server.
Build this link and open it in browser. It will bring up Add to Page Dialog, see image below.
Choose your page in drop down and click "Add Page Tab".
Check this sample link: Add Olegnax products tab to your Fan Page!
Now you have a link to app at your Facebook fan page:
For those who already have apps
December 10, 2011, Facebook announced that they will remove all App Profile Pages on February 1st, 2012.
"Today, we are announcing that we will remove all App Profile Pages on February 1st, 2012. Though similar in appearance, the automatically generated App Profile Pages differ in features from traditional Facebook Pages, and over time the inconsistencies between the two, such as different Insights, APIs, and distribution channels, have become more apparent."
For new apps
New apps will NOT automatically get an App Profile Page. Instead, new apps can choose to create a Facebook Page from the Dev App. Simply visit the Contact Info section in the Advanced tab of the Dev App and click on the “Create Facebook Page” button to create a new Facebook Page.
However, you don’t have to set up a special Page for your App.
How to change landing tab at your page
To make your application appear instead of wall tab when you open your fan page:
1. Go to your page and click "Edit page" at the top of the page.
2. At the tab "Manage Permissions" find "Default Landing Tab:" and choose your application from drop down.
3. Save changes.
One of the common issues
Method not allowed.
Some hosting providers have security settings to restrict POST method by file type. So to fix this issue you can use any dynamic file type. I.E. you can rename your *.html to *.php.
Template used in this instruction
* This post has been updated since Facebook made significant changes. 30 Oct 2011.